Tuesday, February 17, 2009

How NOT to respond

After discovering the compromise version of the U.S. economic stimulus bill, I took a look at it specifically to see if the protectionist provision better known as "Buy American" was still in there. As it was, I went to send off messages to my Congressional delegation to inform them of my opinions.


It turns out that I found out about the compromise version after the House had passed it (don't we already know the pitfalls of trying to rush legislation?), thanks in part to a delay in my college postal system (I just received last Wednesday's newspaper today), but I still sent messages to my senators urging them to vote against because of the provision. I just got a response back from one. At the beginning, I saw: "I recognize that many Virginians still have concerns about the need for a stimulus package." The rest of the email made no reference to my main issue, the Buy American provision.


If you ever become an elected official or an intern of an elected official, at least make sure that your canned reply at least discusses a constituent's concerns before sending it off to give at least an illusion that you care what he or she thinks.


"Better to be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

No comments: